Sunday, October 20, 2013

a letter to my kids on bullying

I know you guys know firsthand about bullying.  The names...the phone calls we've gotten late at night...the stealing from your backpack because the boy they liked had a crush on you, even the black eyes you've gotten just because someone didn't like you talking to their friend.  I'm not going to lie, I wish I could say it gets better, but in reality it doesn't.  I will say it does get easier to stand up to it though.  I've heard you crying at night, fighting with me not to go to school and begging me to talk to your teachers.   I've not given up.  You shouldn't either.  Sometimes you get bullied because the person doing the bullying does not know anything but that.  Maybe their home life isn't as great as yours and they don't have anyone to stand up for them.  I know that doesn't mean much now, but in years you will look back and tell yourself "I know why they did it".  Bullying hurts.   It hurts a lot.  Sometimes you just have to take a deep breath and say "STOP".  Enough is enough.  With the internet, it's even easier to bully someone.  Don't let them drag you down.  Be strong. Be brave. Be a friend to the bully...maybe that's all they want.

No comments: